Ah, it’s moments like this when all of the work of home canning pays off. Last summer when we were picking huckleberries on Big Mountain, cherries along the shore of Flathead Lake, and apples from the backyard, we were blessed with tons of fruit and it seemed like the picking, cleaning, peeling, and pitting would never end.
We had two weeks of non-stop canning!
Our cherry jam came out delicious, our applesauce makes a wonderful topping for pancakes, but I do believe our huckleberry jam is the most tasty of them all!
Sweet and aromatic, there’s nothing like popping off the lid of a jar of huckleberry jam and taking in a whiff of its natural goodness. It’s made breakfast time extra special. It’s one of the sweet rewards you get in winter and spring for all of the hard work you put in at harvest time in the fall.
As a follow up, we did make the canned apple pie recipe I spoke about in a prior post, but I can’t say that I’m all that crazy about it.
Any canning tales? Simple success or dreaded disaster…we’d love to hear about it!
Huckleberry Jam Recipe
What you will need:
- (1) 1.75 oz. package Ball Original Fruit Pectin
- 4 cups crushed huckleberries (2 1/2 lbs or 6, 6 oz. containers)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner, jars and lids according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Combine prepared fruit (rinse in cool water and remove any leaves, stems, etc.) with lemon juice in a 6 or 8 quart saucepan. Gradually stir in Ball Original Fruit Pectin. Add up to 1/2 teaspoon butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Follow “Fresh Preserving Instructions” for water-bath canning.
-Recipe Source: Ball Original Fruit Pectin Package Insert
Other articles you may enjoy:
My oldest son turned 36 last Thursday. I wrote an article titled “She’s Having a Baby”. Click the link to read all about it!